All the recipes on my blog so far were made up in my kitchen. This I admit is a recipe inspired by my main man Jamie Oliver, however being so simple yet effective I had to share it! (Fun fact, I have had the BIGGEST crush on Jamie since I was 16 years old).
The truth is this Sticky Chinese Chicken requires only 5 simple ingredients, is quick to achieve and when cooked properly results in an incredibly authentic flavor and texture.
All you need to do is follow a few simple (but critical) steps to get the chicken golden, crispy and super sticky. To make things easy I have supplied photos of each step below;
- Free range skinless chicken thigh fillets (500 grams)
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
- 1 – 2 tablespoon (preference) of sesame seeds
- Coriander/Spring Onion and chilli sauce to serve (optional)
- In a bowl toss the chicken with the five-spice and rub to coat evenly
- Lay each piece of chicken on one side of a large sheet of grease proof paper. Fold the paper over like an envelope so it sits on top and underneath the chicken, then using a rolling pin or wine bottle bash to flatten the chicken within the grease proof paper to around 2 cm thick.
- Put a large frying pan on the heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook chicken on one side for 4 minutes then turn to cook for another 4 minutes, repeat steps (2 mins per side) until nicely charred and cooked through (this also works well on the BBQ).
- Once the chicken is golden and crispy, drain away any excess fat from the pan, put back on the heat and drizzle with the sweet chilli sauce and sesame seeds cooking until caramelized and sticky (approx 5 minutes on high).
- Transfer the chicken to a board letting it rest for 5 mins, then slice and serve with Asian greens, fried rice and coriander.
If you cook this I would love to hear how it went!
Love Jess x