This is what I cook when I am craving indulgent things such as hamburgers and meatballs.
In fact, I often end up preferring these patties as not only are they waistline friendly and nutritious, they are also packed full of flavour and if cooked properly sticky and sweet on the outside and super soft in the middle.
What I think works is the combination of Indian spices bringing that distinct fragrance and flavour, the grated zucchini keeping them soft and juicy, and then the yogurt, lemon and sweet chilli jam on the side being the perfect extinguisher for heat and adding sweetness.
The only issue is they are so delicious and packed full of good stuff you always eat way more than you should! I admit I am not the best at portion control 😉
To complete the dish, a falafel, feta & spinach salad dressed in heaps of lemon and olive oil compliments the patties really well and makes it even dinner party worthy.
Don’t forget the glass of crisp white wine or ice cold beer.
Patties (makes 12)
- 500 grams of organic pork mince
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Handful of finely chopped parsley
- 1 large grated zucchini
- 1 large dollop of mustard (this adds heat and works as a combining agent, don’t forget mustard is so low in calories people)
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, turmeric and tandoori (garam masala would work too)
- 1 teaspoon of Chilli flakes (if you like heat)
- Salt & Pepper
Salad & Sides
- Loose baby spinach
- Danish feta diced
- 1/2 lemon
- European tub set plain/greek yogurt (full or low fat depending on preference)
- Sweet chilli-jam/tomato chutney (store bought)
- Organic falafel x 2 per person (pre-made, store bought)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Turn fan-forced oven to 170 degrees celsius
- Pre-dice and prepare all ingredients as per list above
- Combine all patty ingredients together in a large bowl
- Form round patties just under the size of your palm and set on baking paper in a baking tray (as per pictures below)
- In medium/hot olive oil, cook half your patties at a time (so you don’t over-crowd the pan), they should only take about 3 minutes each side. Once they are golden remove and put back on baking paper and pop in oven as you work through the next batch. Also include your falafel so they start to warm in the oven.
- With the next batch of patties, once they are golden, turn the heat down and just let them cook through for a further 5 minutes in the pan as the ones you have in the oven are doing the same. Its so easy to check if they are cooked through, just cut one open and then you get to taste it!
- Serve with salad dressed in lemon and olive oil and yogurt, lemon and chilli jam on the side.
Love Jess x