I understand that during the week the last thing you want to do after work and gym is spend hours in the kitchen. This is why I think picking up a roast chicken is one of the best ways to still eat well and serve something worth getting excited about.
My roast chicken salad involves pretty much no cooking time besides the toasting of some pine-nuts. All it takes is a few basic ingredients that when served together compliment each other in a major way and might even be considered somewhat fancy.
Ingredients (serves 2 Main – 4 Entree)
- 1 Pre-Roasted Chicken (organic if possible)
- 1 x tablespoon of Tzatziki or Greek Yogurt
- 1 x dessert spoon of American Mustard
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Pink Lady Apple
- 30 grams of Pine Nuts
- Spinach Leaves (or any salad mix)
- Grape Tomatoes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Shred all meat off hot chicken and sit aside on plate (remove skin if preference)
- Create your dressing by mixing tzatziki (or yogurt) in bowl with mustard, half the lemon and a good glug of olive oil (picture below).
- Use a mandolin to thinly slice Apple (or hand slice thinly).
- Toast pine-nuts (keep your eyes on the prize, these little guys burn so easy).
- Slice/dice your avocado.
Plate Up & Enjoy!
- To plate, begin by layering spinach on the centre of the plate (pre-dress in a little lemon and olive oil).
- Arrange halved grape tomatoes around the plate and layer slices of apple over the top of the spinach (as per picture below).
- Arrange chicken accordingly, alongside avocado then top with pine-nuts.
- Drizzle creamy mustard dressing over chicken, I also like to use the juices from the roast chicken to dress the meat.
Thanks! Jess G