The ultimate in mid-week, low-carb eating. Organic pork mince is an absolute staple in our house as not only is it compatible with so many spices and sauces (Italian, Asian, Indian – you name it) it is also high in protein, low in saturated fat, easy to prepare and a little less rich than beef mince.
Most importantly, I prefer to keep the carb count low during the week, bulking up dishes with green vegetables, cauliflower and corn as opposed to pasta, potato or rice. I always however encourage the addition of good fats, the avocado, pine nuts and yogurt offering a creaminess and texture to the dish which will also help keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Ingredients (serves 2-4)
- 500 grams of organic Pork Mince (or good quality pork mince)
- 2 Zucchinis diced
- 1 can of Corn/Baby Corn
- 1 Tomato diced
- Bunch of chopped Herbs (Sage and or Basil)
- Loose Spinach
- 1 x Avocado diced (to serve)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of 3 x Spices – Cumin, Turmeric & Tandoori Blend (if you only have Cumin that is OK, the amount can be adjusted on preference)
- Greek yogurt
- 1/3 lemon
- 1 x clove of crushed garlic
- 50 grams of pinenuts
- Have all your vegetables diced as per picture/ingredients list.
- Cook off all the diced vegetable in olive oil, herbs and crushed garlic (besides the tomato) until softened and caramelized (medium heat for 10-12 mins) add the tomato in the last 3 mins of cooking time.
- Remove veg and put into a bowl on the side, cover in foil to keep warm.
- Toast up the pine nuts and remove to the side to keep warm.
- Brown off all the mince on a high-heat, you can remove any oil if you like, I like to break it up small and consistent in size.
- Once mince is cooked, put the veg back in, this is when you will also include the spices and stir everything together.
- Once combined, add 100 ml of room temp water to help combine and release the spices, let this cook and simmer through for 5 mins.
- Taste it, season it, love it, you can always add more spices and definitely chili if that is your thing.
- Last step is stir through the spinach until wilted and add the pine-nuts.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon, avocado and dash of yogurt.
- NOTE! If you are into carbs this mince can turn into at home Turkish-pide if you put inside Turkish bread and toast with cheese or cook pizza style on top of Lebanese bread (hangover only territory for me!). OR, often we serve it with lettuce cups and use vegetables like Kale & Carrot, must have avocado and hot sauce on the side! (picture below).
2 Comments Add yours
Read all your blogs, bought the pork mince recipe last night so I’m making it today. I also going to buy those sunnies today ha ha. Found them online on asos and iconic but thought I would try them On at gluestore just to be safe. I did some serious googling. Love the blogs babe, I’m such a Jess groupie follower, already bought ingredients and sunnies he he xxx
I’m going to make this soon, looks yummmmm!